Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad Craft
Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad
You'll love this fun history craft that helps your kids learn about Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad in a hands-on way.
Our kids need to know about the Underground Railroad--and how it led to the freedom of four million Americans!
My narrative history from Christian Focus Publication, What Was the Underground Railroad?, is a fun way for your kids to learn about the system of escape from enslavement, and the people who fought for the freedom of their neighbors--and themselves.
God used the workers on the Underground Railroad to change lives, to change the history and laws of the United States of America, and to affect slavery throughout the world. The people supporting the Underground Railroad were quite often pastors, usually Christians, and they were motivated by the teachings in God's Word.
During the time of the abolitionists, only one out of every twenty-three people was free. In the world your child is growing up in today, ninety-nine out of every one hundred people is free. The abolitionists of the Underground Railroad--including Harriet Tubman--had something to do with that!
What Was the Underground Railroad?
The Underground Railroad was a secret system through which runaway slaves could escape to freedom. Abolitionists hid fugitives in their houses during the day and sent them to another home at night. These safehouses became known as stations, the people who helped were station masters and conductors, and the paths people took to freedom were lines. Learn the stories of some of the people who escaped slavery this way, and the people who ran the Underground Railroad.
Have you ever taken a ride on a train? It can be a lot of fun. You board the train at the station, then enjoy the countryside as you race along the line. You disembark right where you intend to arrive.
Taking a ride on the Underground Railroad was a little different.
What Was the Underground Railroad?, Danika Cooley (Christian Focus Publications, 2023), page 16
Underground Railroad History CraftKids learn through story and hands-on activities. Check out this fun video of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad craft!
Christian Biographies for Kids | Christian History for Kids | Theology for Kids
Christian History Matters for Our Kids.History matters. Now, more than ever, we see how important it is for our children to know and understand history and the Bible. Here's why:
- God is the sovereign ruler of all things. It's important for our kids to see his hand in the history of nations and in the lives of both peasants and kings.
- Christian history is the story of our family history. Our kids get to see how people who love Jesus follow him.
- Understanding history can help our kids learn historic and biblical theology. They learn what the Bible says and what that means for us. They also see when the study of Scripture has taken important turns that have changed the Church.
- Reading Christian biographies and history can be a wonderful way for kids to think outside their own time and culture. God's Church spans centuries and includes people from every nation.
- Christian biographies help kids consider their own faith, walk with Jesus, and the impact their witness may one day have on others--and on history.
The Who What Why Series is the perfect resource to teach your kids about history, while helping them apply biblical truths to their lives today.